Tuesday, July 17, 2012

2012 Obon: honoring our ancestors

For all that I am able to do, I owe a tremendous debt to those who came before me. My parents gave me love, security and education. My grandparents gave me strength and determination and, from their forebears, we get our identity and resolve.

Obon is an annual Japanese Buddhist festival to honor our ancestors. Each village/community has its own Obon and each Obon takes on the character of the community. I grew up attending Obon in Seattle, held over two evenings in July during Seattle's Seafair festivities. New York's is now held on 42nd Street in Bryant Park (previously in Riverside Park) on the second Sunday in July during the height of the afternoon heat.




For years, I've talked about going to Seabrook's Obon but I've just never made it until this year!! Seabrook in New Jersey is a historic site. Seabrook is one of the top three places that Japanese-Americans (Nikkei) were able to relocate to from the World War II internment camps. Charles Seabrook needed workers to replace the workforce who involved in the war effort. Other Nikkei left the camps for Chicago, which offered domestic work at first but also faced with a depleted workforce, other employers found the relatively well-educated Nikkei to be stable source of loyal employees. Still others found employment as chicken sexers in Georgia/Arkansas, a valued skill at poultry farms and, apparently, something that Nikkei are especially adept at.

My mother left Minidoka camp in Idaho to go to Cincinnati and then Chicago. My father served in the US Army. My grandparents remained in camp (my maternal grandfather died there) while other relatives moved briefly to Boston or permanently to Minnesota or Chicago. After the war, most returned to the West Coast. To find a list of people who were in the camps, go to www.japaneserelocation.org/index.php?page=directory. Although none of my family went to Seabrook, I've wanted to learn more about this small community.

At its peak, Seabrook's Nikkei population was about 3,000 but diminished over the years. Japanese-Americans and Japanese-Peruvians were later replaced by wartime refugees from Europe, migrant laborers from Appalachia, the South, and the Caribbean. The Seabrook Educational and Cultural Center, www.seabrookeducation.org, depends on volunteers to tell their first-hand accounts of life at Seabrook farms.






Seabrook Farms is still busy at work processing vegetables from NJ, NY, PA, DE and beyond.
But, the highlight of the day was Obon Matsuri. I was expecting a small affair. People had told me that not many Nikkei remain in the area; that I should go to dance and wear a yukata because there weren't many participants. So, I was blown away as we approached the temple. There were many cars parked and lawn chairs/blankets ringed the grassy field. There were booths selling food and beverages, etc.  How festive!!

If you visit Seabrook Buddhist Temple, take time to see their Meditation Garden.





















My cousin Ellen and her family, Eric, Tai, and Chi made the trip over from Philadelphia. As did the regular bus load and car caravan from New York including dancers and drummers.

It was truly a memorable, moving event especially as the Seabrook community joined in the odori dancing.

No comments: