Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Mochitsuki, Part II

I've written previously in this space about our family tradition of making rice cakes, http://peacefulroadwarrior.blogspot.com/2011/02/mochi-making-mochitsuki.html. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos to share of those days of yore when the family would gather at my grandparents' home right before the New Year to make rice cakes pounding the steamed sweet rice in a hollowed-out tree trunk with a big wooden mallet.

Here are some representative photos found on the Web.

Even though my grandparents' old tree trunk has since fallen apart, the tradition continues each year with my cousins now taking charge making mochi with a machine (actually, to keep up with the volume, they have three machines going concurrently). Here are my parents' generation (Nisei):
my generation (Sansei):

and the next generation (Yonsei) who provide much of the mochi-making labor force:

I was so inspired after going to Mochitsuki in Seattle, December 2012 that I wanted to share the fun with my New York City friends. So, we gathered for a Lunar New Year party to ring in the Year of the Serpent.



The preparation started several days ahead with washing and soaking about 8 pounds of sweet rice or mochigome (this is different from regular white rice). Then I made three batches of anko or an (sweet azuki or red bean paste) to make daifuku (mochi with anko filling):

Azuki an
2 c azuki beans
2 c sugar
1/4 t salt

Wash azuki and soak for 1/2 day. Cover beans with water and simmer until beans are tender enough to mash. Mash (or use food processor). Put in pan, add sugar and salt and cook slowly over low heat until firm enough to make a ball. Make little balls of an. Note: there are also microwave recipes for making an.


It wouldn't be a New Year's party without osechi-ryoori, traditional Japanese New Year's food.

So, I made kuromame (black soybeans):

and a radish and carrot sunomono or namasu:

makizushi:
 sekihan (azuki bean rice):

and assorted other good-luck foods: bamboo shoots (takenoko), lotus roots (renkon), yam gelatin (konnyaku), fish cakes (kamaboko), sweet potatoes (yaki-imo), shitake mushrooms and daikon:

Plus, guests shared some of their traditional foods and plenty of beverages. What a fun and delicious time. A new tradition has been started. Can't wait for the Year of the Horse!!!!

No comments: