Sunday, May 5, 2013

Ya, mon (Saturday, 4/20)

Usually when I travel I'm able to post along the road so that I can share my perspective as I'm experiencing my trip. This time I'm writing when I return so I already know how the story "ends." But, I wrote some notes along the way so I'll share my thoughts the best I can. Internet was available along the way, albeit at about $6/hour. Alisa thought that we shouldn't leave electronic breadcrumbs as we traveled under the radar.

What better way to kick off a terrific adventure than in a beautiful place with a wonderful friend. How fortunate I am to have a dear friend like Enith living in Jamaica. Enith met me at the Kingston airport and we went for a Jamaican breakfast including saltfish, ackee, callaloo, dumplings, yams, porridge, and amazing fruits. This was especially welcomed since I had gotten up at 4 am to get to the airport and flew in on Jet Blue (which only serves snacks).



We stopped in Devon House with its lush gardens, one of the beautiful sights around the city:



Then off to Enith's house where she completed preparing her family's traditional recipe for sweet potato pudding:











Preparations were underway by all of her neighbors for a celebration/memorial for Dawn Scott who had died several months ago.





The evening ended with friends sharing drumming, delicious food, sharing old memories, and creating new ones, and dancing to honor an amazing woman.







What a magical evening!!

No comments: