Sunday, May 5, 2013

Returning to Die Stahlratte (Sunday, 4/21)

When I originally set up this blog in 2008, it was to keep my parents updated as Alisa and I traveled through Panama and Colombia. Part of that trip was voyaging on Die Stahlratte, a 100+-year-old sailing vessel, now run as a German nonprofit venture which is dedicated to preserving this amazing ship. Then we made the trip from Panama via the San Blas Islands to Cartagena, Colombia.

On Sunday, 4/21, Enith and I awoke early in the morning so that I could catch up with Alisa who had rejoined Die Stahlratte in Cartagena and made the trip to Jamaica. But, first, we gathered breakfast from under the mango tree next to the house. Yes, we can get mangos in NY but this is heaven where ripe mangos fall from the sky.


Refreshed, we then began the two-hour car trek over the mountain roads from the south side of the island to Port Antonio on the north. It was a beautiful ride with wonderful scenery and a chance to catch up with Enith. Enith was involved in the development deal that financed the building of the marina at Port Antonio10 years ago but had not been back to see how it had turned out.





Die Stahlratte was docked at the pier and it was great to see Alisa, the boat crew and meet the other passengers and join them for breakfast.





It's been almost almost five years since I was on the boat and so much was different than I had remembered. I had thought there was much more wood, etc. But, the food was just as delicious, the crew just was nice and the passengers just was interesting. Five years ago there were more Irish, Australians and bicyclists. This time more Germans, three Canadians, a couple of Brits, a couple of Swedes, and an American traveling with an Irish passport including six motorcyclists (and I'm not talking about little scooters).


After a hearty breakfast, we took off, raised the sails, and set a course north to begin what I am calling my Caribbean Ultra Bodacious Adventure.






No comments: