Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Home Again, Home Again...

We wake up early (4:30 am) on Sunday. Alisa needs to make sure that I really leave so she accompanies me to the airport.

As instructed, we arrive at the Bogota airport three hours ahead of my flight. Flying is a hassle post-9/11. Although I carry on my bags, there are still long lines to get the required tax-exempt form, have my bags weighed, go through the security questions and get my ticket.

I am told to be at the gate two hours ahead of the flight. So, it's time to say good-bye to Alisa (sob, sob). With all her comings and goings, one would think I could do this easily.

I go through another security check. This time the agent asks to see my nail clippers which are in my sewing kit. She then tells me that I can't bring safety pins or needles on board and confiscates mine. I don't point out that my keys and Pentel pencils are probably more lethal.

Only at the last checkpoint before entering the plane did they mention my full water bottle. At none of the checkpoints did they care about my 3-1-1 (3-oz bottles in 1 one-quart plastic bag). The agent tells me I have to drink up all the water. I laugh and say "no es posible" so he waves me through.

During the flight, I watch the movie Kung Fu Panda in Spanish. This ties together all of the themes of the bad movies I saw while traveling martial arts and obesity (Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Daniel Craig and Eddie Murphy). Well, before I know it, six hours have passed and I'm in NYC.

So now, everyone wants to know the highlights; just boil down the two weeks in Panama and Colombia. Here are my Top 10 good memories:

10. Discovering that La Macarena in Bogota is a wonderful bustling alley with comidas tipicas and not a cheezy dance hall.

9. Arepas -- grilled corn flour cake often stuffed with cheese or other delectables

8. Kuna women's amazing beadwork worn on their legs and arms

7. Bucaramanga and Tunja, two small cities in Colombia; just saying Bucaramanga makes me smile.

6. San Blas islands and the delicious food on Der Stahlratte

5. The sweet generous men sitting at the crossroads along the road to Magangue

4. Cartagena

3. Aji, a picante sauce

2. Getting a room at a hostel with a hot shower

1. Traveling with Alisa and watching her move effortlessly between generations, cultures and languages

Alas, two weeks fly by especially when one is having fun. What a wonderful adventure! Thank you, thank you, Alisa, for letting me tag along.

1 comment:

ali sa said...

you are most welcome, ma! it was a lot of fun skipping around with you! we sure made some long-lasting memories in those two weeks! hope to see you soon!!!

welcome home!

alisa
(from some random internet cafe in ipiales!)