Monday, August 11, 2008

Inoculation

OK, I’m armed and very dangerous. I’ve been jabbed and am stuffed with the kernels of all kinds of awful diseases.

But, I’m not inoculated against enthusiasm. Thank goodness. The days are counting down.

We went to the Travel Clinic at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital to get our shots and prescriptions. I told the guard handing out passes in the lobby which doctor I was there to see. He couldn’t find a listing even after I spelled the name several times. But, then, finally, success – I’m cleared to enter! So, in a loud voice he says, “You’re going to Infectious Diseases!” Was it my imagination or did the people behind me really give me a little more space!?! It happens that only Infectious Diseases healthcare professionals are able to give Yellow Fever shots.

Well, even the scary things that the doctor warned us about are not dampening our excitement for our trip. So, many things to do and so little time. We have to-do lists for our to-do lists.

Will this Type-A mom be able to chill and ride shotgun while accompanying her more laid-back, world-traveled daughter? Yes, definitely! Just glancing at my watch reminds me to take a deep breath and accept things for what they are and enjoy the serenity of not trying to change things that are not under my control (Hmm, am I talking baseball or life? Is there a difference?).

PRW

Education is the vaccine for violence. --Edward James Olmos

1 comment:

ali sa said...

thank goodness there's no vaccine for enthusiasm! 3 days and counting!

-your laid back, world traveled daughter