Monday, February 9, 2009

Beautiful Bariloche

Eleven hours and this has to be the quietest plane ride that I've ever had. No routy tour groups. No fussy toddlers. No cranky babies.

Just as I doze off for my night's slumber on the way from NY to Buenos Aires, I hear an announcement that there is an electrical problem on the aircraft.

Too late for me to process that info, I'm nearly in dreamland. But, wait, my conscious self fights back -- isn't an electrical problem something we don't want on an airplane? !! But, sleep wins over rational thought. I'm out like a lamp.

When I do awake after a deep sleep, it's still eerily quiet. I soon discover the consequences of the "electrical problem" on the aircraft -- no cabin lights. So, all the books that I lugged on board for the long flight will remain unopened, the Sudoku and crossword puzzles will remain unsolved. Just lots of time to contemplate the quiet.

I arrive in BA early. I had allowed plenty of time to transfer to the domestic airport. So, I ignore the advice that I had been given to take a taxi and decide to venture there via bus. I get through customs in a breeze, am able to make myself understood well enough to get to an ATM and purchase my bus ticket to Newbery airport.

I still have an hour-and-half wait for the next bus. This gives me time enough to finish Dreams from my Father. I get so engrossed in President Obama's narrative of his trip to Kenya. So engrossed that when someone stops to chat I forget where I am. At first, I don't understand. Oh, wait, he's speaking Spanish. I'm not in Africa. I can understand.

The flight to Bariloche was also packed but this time with lots of active kiddies and cute babies. No matter; it's just a two-hour hop. And, as soon as I get to the baggage area, I see Alisa and Nate through the glass partition. How wonderful! How happy I am to be here with them.

We have a short taxi ride to Bariloche, then hop on a bus for a walk home (thanks, Nate and Alisa for carrying my bags), terrific homemade pizza dinner (oops, I forgot to take photos), and then a nice night's sleep.

I'll post photos later. It's just great to be here.

Perfectly Rested Well-fed

1 comment:

ali sa said...

hooray! welcome to bariloche!! so glad you made it safely! more great food and spectacular scenery to come!

it´s good to have you here!

love,
alisa